Internet Usage Policy
Internet Usage Policy
The Mason Public Library provides free public access to the Internet. Because the internet is a vast, unregulated medium, the Library cannot control and is not responsible for the content or accuracy of information accessed over the internet.
The Library uses filtering software to block access to some internet sites. All patrons, both adult and minors may contact a library staff member to request temporary unblocking of an incorrectly blocked site for legitimate research or other lawful purpose.
Minors (under age 18) must have a parent or guardian sign a permission form to be kept on file to access the internet. Parents and legal guardians who are concerned about their children’s use of the internet should provide guidance to their own children. Patrons may not use internet sessions in a manner that is deliberately offensive or creates a hostile or intimidating environment.
Patrons may not attempt to alter, damage, or sabotage computer hardware or software and will be financially responsible for any malicious damage to hardware or software. The use of personal software on Library computers is prohibited. The Library is not liable for any damage to a patron’s disk or computer that may occur from use of the internet at the Library; nor is the Library responsible for any liability that may occur as a result of the disclosure of financial or other personal information while accessing the internet at the Library.
The Library does not release information on the use of the internet by Library users except as required by law. Illegal acts may be subject to prosecution by local, state, or federal authorities.
Conditions and Terms of Library Internet Use
- To use the internet, you must have a Mason Public Library card.
- Use of internet workstations is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Internet sessions are for 1 hour, and internet patrons are allowed a total of 3 hours a day.
- Internet computer workstations automatically shut down 5 minutes before the Library closes.
- All print jobs are paid upon release at a print station and are paid by cash only. Black and white printing is available for $.15 per page and color printing is available for $.50 per page. It is recommended to use the Print Preview tool prior to printing.
- The Library’s internet workstations will be used for educational, informational, and recreational purposes only, not for unauthorized, illegal or unethical purposes. You may not send, receive or display text or graphics which may reasonably be construed as obscene. Access to and/or display of obscene language and sexually explicit graphics and materials, as defined in sections 2907.01 and 2907.31 of the Ohio Revised Code, are prohibited.
- Misuse of the Library’s internet workstations or violation of this policy may result in loss of internet privileges for 90 days. Habitual misuse of the Library’s internet workstations may result in loss of internet privileges indefinitely.
- Patrons who owe the Library $12.00 or more will not be permitted to use Library services which require a library card, including the internet, until the balance is paid.